Wednesday, October 27, 2010


You’re Beautiful – Drama Review
A South Korean idol romantic drama, depicting the behind-the-scene life of the A. N. Jell idol group, staring Park Shin Hye, Jang Geun Seuk, Lee Hong Ki and Jung Yong Hwa.
Sister (nun)-in-training, Gemma (Park Shin Hye) is coerced into posing as her twin brother Go Mi Nam while he’s recovering from a botched plastic surgery. Gemma or Mi Nyu reluctantly agrees to help Go Mi Nam’s manger in order to fill her dream of finding her mother who she has never met. Mi Nyu meets the three members of A. N. Jell, Hwang Tae Kyung (Jang Geun Seuk), Kang Shin Woo (Jung Young Hwa, leader of the pop group CNA Blue) and Jeremy (Lee Hong Ki, member of the pop group F. T. Island). In the very first episode Kang Shin Woo discovers that Mi Nam is really a girl. After an unfortunate accident Tae Kyung discovers it too and both take on the responsibility of protecting Mi Nyu's true identity.
Review – Yet another drama featuring a girl posing as a guy, yet not a bad job of acting by the lovely Park Shin Hye. I watched all sixteen episodes in three days and let me tell you I don’t regret it.
Jang Geun Seuk gave a superb performance as the vain, arrogant and spoiled leader of A. N. Jell, Hwang Tae Kyung. I found myself screaming at the screen at him for being so pig-headed but was later won over by that handsome face and pouting lips.
I also wanted to slap Mi Nyu silly for not falling for Kang Shin Woo, a young man who loved her and complimented her personality more than the whiny Tae Kyung.
But the first one I noticed was the blond-haired Jeremy. Kind of like what happened when I first saw Hero of DBSK rocking that platinum blond Mohawk. But after awhile I found his character a bit babyish one moment and then too motherly the next. Mi Nyu never had a clue about his feelings toward her but in my opinion that would have been a match made in pastel hell.
Emotions run rampart throughout this drama, which will help you understand the complex issues the two main characters faced. I liked the songs performed by A.N. Jell, especially both renditions of the song “What Do I Do?” performed by Park Shin Hye and Jan Geun Seuk. (But I like his version better.) He reminded me of one of those 50’s crooners, like Frank Sinatra…very effective to set the romantic tone.
So if you’re into goofy, unpredictable characters you’re going to love this romantic comedy. I give “You’re Beautiful” four fleur delis and no doubt this will be one drama I will watch again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment